View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 06:35 AM

High platelets

Hi run4peach1,
Yes, Neulasta can cause bone pain – I thought pain in the long bones was more common but obviously pain in the back is common too: http://www.communityoncology.net/jou...es/0407455.pdf

As far as I understand most patients respond to Procrit within 4 weeks – if there isn’t any response within 8 weeks the drug should be stopped. As you perhaps have read it is important that you know your father’s EPO value initially - if it was high (more than 500) few patients respond. My EPO was a little more than 800 initially so I never got Procrit or similar drugs because my kidneys made enough EPO without effect on the bone marrow.

The swing in platelets is really not often seen in MDS patients and as you think it is probably caused by your father’s MPD – there are mixed cases. Good that you don't have to worry about bleedings .

I got a dx of the MPD myelofibrosis during 15 months but probably had MDS from dx. I have so few blood cells in my bone marrow with severe fibrosis that it is difficult to see if the cells are dysplastic. I have read about MDS patients with high platelets before and they are not treated in some special way.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A