View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 07:32 PM

I did a little more research on the SQUID and found this on AAMDS site

"SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device). This imaging test uses a very low-power magnetic field with very sensitive detectors to measure the presence of iron in your body with a high degree of accuracy. However, the complexity, cost, and technical requirements of this technology have limited its use for measuring iron. Only a handful of SQUID machines are available in the United States."

Not an actual chelator, but an imaging of Iron stores it seems.

Basically what the BMT Dr. (Specialty is Aplastic Anemia) was saying, is that since my son has received 23 units of RBC's, he should get chelation therapy for "optimal organ function". He then proceeded to say, "My patients get chelation for at least six months prior to BMT." I then proceeded to tell him that his ferritin level measured at around 500 on 02/13 (I was wrong, it was actually closer to 600 ) and even then he said that was irrelevant and that's when he recommended we go see Dr. Mark Walters @ Children's Oakland. It seems like this SQUID "Measures the presence of Iron" accurately, but not the actual levels. I'll have to talk to my son's hematologist to see what she recommends.