View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:36 PM

Hey Tom!

I haven't tried macrobiotics, but I did read a couple of books about it when my wife was thinking of making that move.

A lot of it makes good sense, as the NIH page you linked to suggests: whole grains and veggies as the base of the diet.

Dropping the meat and dairy is definitely do-able, but it takes some work to make sure you're getting enough protein. My daughter's a vegan, and protein has been a bit of a challenge. It's pretty easy to wind up on a mostly carb diet if you're not careful.

Finally, like a lot of stuff, macrobiotics can become a near religion with some practitioners, and, at that level it's pretty complicated and involves some ingredients that will require mail order or a big asian market nearby.

Good luck!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com