View Single Post
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 07:45 PM

Dad had to do this also from the beginning due to antibodies. same with his platelets. they get a few people that are compatible and use their blood from my understanding. it takes up to 6 hrs for those donors to give. to me that is amazing that strangers would do that for others. it didn't really affect how often he got blood though. once a week to 10 days for blood and 2 times a week for plts but he was in total marrow failure or aml by that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno View Post
My mom and dad made it safely to the hospital for his 2pts of PRBC's (I'm guessing that's what he received, since he failed to ask any of the questions I sent him, and mom is no better, they promised to send me the latest cbc's this weekend, arrrgg)
Dad did tell me that he had a lot of antibodies from the first transfusions, and that from now on he must go the day before to get his blood typed. My first thought is "OH NO, who is going to drive?? NOT my mom!!)

I learned from researching past posts that blood typing the day before is not uncommon. Regarding antibodies, I liked these links provided by past posts: http://www.cigna.com/individualandfa...s-hw44015.html and,
http://www.pathology.med.umich.edu/b...h_5/index.html

My dad thinks he will be able to go 6-8 weeks between transfusions, but I'm thinking if he has different kinds of antibodies, that his RBCs won't last that long. I guess time will tell....

Sally & Marlene - Thanks for the transfusion pre-treatment info. I was disappointed that my dad didn't give me any details on his regimen yesterday. But I guess I will find out when I go visit the end of May.

This weekend I want to research giving prednisone to treat haemolysis and Thalidomide, which has helped Birgitta_A get off transfusions. I'm so happy for you, Birgitta_A!!

Linda - I enjoyed reading the interviews & passed them along to Dad - Thanks!
~deeno