View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:17 AM

Johns Hopkins has confirmed my diagnosis and will be scheduling me for robotic surgery on my tongue base to be followed in several weeks with the removal of some lymph nodes, the number yet to be determined. This sort of cancer is usually treated with radiation and chemo but they're trying to avoid that due to my history with the bone marrow transplant. Time will tell. I don't have a date yet - they have to find a slot on the schedule where both my surgeon and the robot are available. Although it is technically classified as stage IV due to lymph node involvement on both sides of my neck, the doctors are very optimistic about my prognosis. There was no evidence of cancer in the rest of my body and the primary tumor is small. It's still difficult to believe this is happening. I'm feeling so well. Just like when I was diagnosed with the high risk MDS, I didn't even know I was ill.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com