Thread: exercise
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 2, 2012, 06:46 PM

Walk as much as you can

After making sure whatever you eventually plan to do is ok with your doc, then I suggest just plain old walking. Get an iPod or something and some earplugs or headset, and go walking for a while on a flat surface (avoid concrete if you can). Listen to music or to an audio book.

Build up gradually, no more than 10% added each week in total mileage. Seems like only a little but you'd be surprised. If you add mileage in a week, reduce your mileage the next week, then increase again if you are up to it (alternate hard work with light work).

When my hemoglobin was in the low 8's, I could walk up to 4 miles, but that was exhausting, so I did less, even though it as hard to go out the door! In the 9's, six miles was easy. YMMV !!

If you're on Cyclosporine, watch out for sun exposure. Walk early or late in the day if you can.
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.