Thread: New: Dad has AA
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:38 PM

Laurie, I just want to echo what the others have said, that 3 weeks is much to soon to say if he's responding or not. It can take months to see a response. It is a slow process, and that is the hardest part of this illness, but we've all had to learn to wait and be patient. If you don't see ANY kind of change after 6 months, then it's time to say that it's probably not working.

I don't know where they got that 40% figure, it sounds like something they pulled out of a hat. The usual figure you hear for ATG is 70-80% response. That is not for complete remission, mind you, that is just improvement to the point of not needing transfusions, but that may really be all that's necessary in order to live a normal life. If they're giving you lower odds, I'd ask them what that is based on. Does it have something to do with his recent heart surgery or his age? Don't let them intimidate you with numbers without backing it up with some evidence.