View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 8, 2017, 03:50 AM

Thumbs up Blood counts 6months post sct

Thank you Dan and Lisa. I was on Ursodiol a few months back. Then was taken off it.
The steroid prednisolone is working, and my liver numbers have slightly decreased, so I will be kept on steroids. However, since steroids can cause osteoroposis (spelling?) and diabetes, I am now taking medicine for bones and diabetes. I think you all know how this works, meds for side effects caused by other meds... and in the end you get a stomache full of pills after breakfast .

According to my hematologist, I had GVHD liver since transplant, so even if I am now 6 months post STC, it is stilled considered acute, not chronic.

I had my 6 months post transplant health check. My skin has become itchy, so have been advised to use skin lotion twice a day, morning and evening.

Lisa, Folliculitis, yes, I have them on my face. They come and go. The steroids have turned me into a hairy gorilla, but I wear a mask in public, so it's not that noticeable.

According to my transplant team, they graduate the transplantees after 5 years. So I have 4,5 years to go. I always thought it was 3 years. I guess with this kind of cancer, they don't let you graduate early anymore.

Overall, I have bad days and good days. Bad days: I itch all over, I have nausea, a bloated abdomen, funny taste, and an upset stomach. It's a small discomfort compared to the fact I am alive. Thank you God.

Ultrasound of liver and kidneys were fine. The lung capacity test (?) where you have to suck in and blow out air, came out good too.

Blood counts 6 months post transplant, not so bad :
WBC 5.2
RBC 3.66 L
Hgb 11.7
Platelets 111 L

My next appointment will be in 2 weeks time. My doctor needs to adjust the meds, a difficult call. I trust him, and the team of doctors and nurses.

Christmas coming up with all those delicious meals (Cheryl and Lisa, I would love a meat pie!!) and yes, my delicate liver and stomache will bear the brunt. Will try to be strong and stick to fish and vegetables.

Sending lots of warm wishes and prayers to everyone out there.
Meri