View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 11:47 PM

Meri,

Unfortunately the information on long-term survival is somewhat difficult to get by year after transplant. The biggest study that I found started at 2 years post-transplant, as disease relapse, GVHD, and infection were the biggest causes of death during the first 2 years.

At the 2 year mark, 80% of patients would go on to survive 10 or more years.
Between years 2 and 5, 40% of those died, died of disease relapse, while the others had complications of cGVHD, secondary cancers, infections, organ failure. After 5 years, death from relapse becomes pretty rare, although it may occur, so you are left with infections, cGVHD, and secondary cancers in the later years.

Most of the prior research that I had seen really focused on 1 and 2 years because most institutions only publish 1 year survival rates, and probably because if you get past the second year, your odds of long-term survival go way up. After looking further, that 5 year number would really seem to suggest that you are not likely to relapse after 5 years.

Like Ray, I am getting close to 4 years post transplant and still have some cGVHD issues that I am dealing with, so my new immune system hasn't quite settled in to its new home all the way. Fortunately I am not on a lot of immune suppression, and have managed to escape the infections issues thanks to my team of doctors - I have now survived sepsis 3 times, pneumonia 1 time, cellulitis for about 6 months, and both c-diff and vre, and bk, etc. Most of this was in the first 2 years, year 3 was good, year four has had some hiccups.

It can be a long path, but one that is worth it.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.