View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 09:20 PM

Red face Air travel after stem cell transplant

Hello everyone,
Last Spring 2017, I flew non-stop Tokyo-San Francisco pre- transplant, low blood counts, especially my platelets were only in double digits. I needed platelet transfusions before and after the 2 week trip. Exhausting trip.

This time I will be flying post transplant. Same route - The flight is in March, so I'll be about 9 months post transplant by then.
With blood counts holding up, I hope to make it there and back in one piece.

These are my recent numbers as of Jan 18:
WBC 7.3
RBC 4.06
Hgb 13.1
Hct 40.5
Plts 118L
Not so bad, though wish those platelets could work up a bit more. Hate to see the Ls and Hs behind the numbers.

Though religiously applying cream lotions and steroids, GVHD Skin still not cooperating - itchy. Red spots have started crawling up from neck to cheek. Immigration might think I'm a walking pox-carrier!

My hematologist said flying with blood counts above would be no problem at all. For the skin rashes and spots, he says it will spread, but once they come out, it will not get worse?! In the meantime, He has cautiously decided not to taper my prednisone while the GVHD skin is still not under control. Meaning I catch only a few hours of sleep at night only, and am always ravenously hungry, and did I mention the itch which is always situated at the back improportion to the reach! ??

Funny thing about GVHD, sometimes when you think you've caught up with their game, they up the ante. It's like GVHD watch and wait.

Rant over. Now I am mentally preparing for a much needed Spring Vacation. Would love to hear from people who have had to fly after a bone/stem cell transplant. Please share your stories, thank you.

Meri