View Single Post
Old Sun May 1, 2011, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the messages--every word of support helps!!!

Our little girl is actually remarkably well, considering her lack of blood counts...
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the use of mesenchymal stromal cell infusions as a way to 'rescue' such poor performing post-transplant blood counts....??? Other than that, yes, adenovirus, and its treatment (cidofovir) have among other things been possibly stated as being culprits, but I'm wondering why so still nearly 3 months later? I think I'll have to ask an infectious disease expert about that!

The other concern I have is that her chemo drugs were just simply too 'strong' for her, as they had given her a "reduced intensity/ non-myeloablative" chemo regime, but they also admit now it likely was effectively strong and fully myeloablative of anything she had left. Her lack of hair re-growth is something that makes me feel a bit suspicious of that. I can't find 'typical' doses for campath/ fludaribine/ or melphalan anywhere for pediatric patients. I believe she was simply given the known adult dose as far as my recollection (which may or may not be the same for kids...don't know).

She is on tacrolimus only at this point, and again--is it too strong and immunosuppressive? Her blood levels of this have been the lower end of the range that they want to see...but ?maybe just too strong for her if you don't look at the numbers only.