View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 06:53 AM

Sorry for not updating.

I want to apologize for not updating. This ordeal has been, to say the least, educating. I have spent many days on the net, as well as reading literature and picking up pop's chores.

O.K. enough excuses. My father is still here, hanging in. He has been on the ARA-C chemo and Procrit since late September, and neuprogin since late October. The 3 weekly shots have been slowing the progression of the leukemia. The doctor saw him in January, and was shocked to see him. Pop is quite stubborn. He days, however, have been numbered from the start.

Now the facts.
Fact #1. He did not choose the 30 day stay {aggressive} chemo, for the outcome was still going to be the same. He wanted to be at home, and enjoy his grandkids, and my mother for the time he had left; furthermore, he set some goals, get his affairs in order, and make it through the holidays. Done. He is very satisfied.

Fact #2. Pop is on his 12th unit of blood. His iron levels were already high at this point, and he is now showing external signs of too much iron. The bronze colored skin and the spots. His blood cells are tear drop shaped, even after the last transfusion, and his platelets are back in the teens again. Needed a bag this week again, only 3rd time since October because of the Procrit, but the blood bank was out. Still waiting.

Fact#3. He will never get better. He has reached his plateau back in December, and had been sliding since. He is nearing the point of having to drop treatments due to his body showing early signs of rejecting them. Once he stops, it will be a matter of weeks.

Fact#4. His leukemia was brought on by environment. Mostly benzine. Due to his past as an auto mechanic and volunteer fire fighter since the early 50's.

And finally, they had diagnosed pop with MDS in August of 2007. They then took a marrow test and said he did not have leukemia. Ten days later the stain test came in. Practicing physicians. I will not blame them. This one was tough to find, and his February 2007 blood test had no red flags. Was sleeping in him and woke up fast.

Joy, when all the tests have arrived, sit with him and let him make his own decisions. If it is MDS, you could get years. If it is worse, Pop's journey may give you a map. Be thankful that it does not hurt. Pop is sleepy allot, and is mostly aggravated due to the fact that he was Mr. out doors. Everything was a contest to him. Now he gets to see his son do most of it for him. That is the tough part.

I am thankful every day that I can swing by and see my dad. We have had "the talk", no not the one that I got in middle school, the other one. Thought I would break up the moment. We're o.k. He knows that the next adventure awaits him. He just so much enjoys being here with my mom and his family. So we make like it's just another thing. A part of life. He is o.k. with that. I'm not, but we all will loose our parents some day. I have come to terms with that. I will miss him, but savor every day till then.

Joy, if you need to talk, I will be here. God bless you and your family.

Scott.
Son Of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.