View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 2, 2008, 06:49 AM

Pop Update 4/2/2008

Hello,
As we all know, see last post, pop did not get his platelets last week. He went in for his blood test yesterday, and his hemo was down to 7.8 and his platelets held at 15. His white was at 1.7. The Neuprogen is doing its job; however, I feel the Procrit is failing. He has been getting severe headaches this past week and he has a terrible pain up the left side of his neck to his inner ear. He also has developed a "metal" taste in his mouth that gets worse every week. Chemo? He has had a loss of appetite since Sunday, has been doing a lot of "restless" sleeping since Thursday, and has also developed a gag response to his face mask. It made him vomited yesterday on the way to the blood test. He stated it had a smell he's been noticing lately. Mom is looking for alternate masks.

His driving is becoming a private issue with my mom. We talked yesterday. He likes to drive her to the store, hell sit in the car and wait, and to his appointments. Last Friday, Neuprogin day, and the day after Chemo, he has had issues. She stated they were things pop would never have done. {pop taught drivers ed for several years for the AAA when he was in his Early 20's} I wanted to talk with him, but she said she will see how he does this week and make a decision. I worry for the two of them. Maybe make a compromise, and let him drive on "non-shot" days.

He is supposed to get 2 units of blood and a bag of platelets today. The hospital has not called yet. I heard on the radio this morning that there is a major shortage in this area of 0+ and platelets. I hope he gets a call today.

Belle, my 6 year old girl, went up to see her grand pop Monday after school. He wasn't feeling well, and slept most of the day. He woke up for her and then the two of them snuggled on the love seat and fell back to sleep. She loves her grand pop. I feel he has hung in this long for her. They really enjoy there time together.

I will update ad usual, and I hope this helps others.

Scott
Son Of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.