View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 4, 2013, 05:37 PM

Smile PNH new diagnosis after SAA and duodenal cancer

Hey Ryan Jay!

I'm so happy to see your post and know you are still doing well. I was diagnosed SAA 2 months after you and followed your recovery closely, since I was in same process just shortly after. I was blessed to have gone into remission after h-ATG and cyclosporin from Oct 2010 through most of 2012. Then, an ugly duodenal adenoma(cancerous) tumor reared its head and I had a whipple procedure to remove that in Nov 2012. Lost the head of my pancreas, duodenum, gallbladder and small portion of lower stomach. Incredibly, the cancer had NOT spread to any lymph nodes and I made pretty much a full recovery. Except, that my platelet count has been on a slow downward spiral throughout 2013. The rest of my counts finally decided to join the party, so I had a bone marrow biopsy and they've now confirmed PNH. By the grace of God, my insurance company has agreed to pay for Silaris infusions to treat the PNH. Dr thinks it could be AA rearing its head again, also on top of the PNH, but we won't know until after a few months of this treatment. Unlike you, I have very low iron levels and have to take supplements daily. I'm happy to say I'm still working and able to function normally most days. Although lately, its been quite tiring. Silaris treatments should alleviate some of the anemia symptons after first few treatments, I'm told. So, you are no longer taking cyclosporine or any treatment for the SAA? Great to hear you are doing so well!
Donna, age 44, diagnosed AA 9/30/10; treated h-ATG 10/3/10 and cyclosporine to 2012; Oct 2012 Duodenal cancer/Whipple procedure; 7/29/13 diagnosed PNH; July 2014 stable but very low HgB & Platelets(25-35)-Cyclosporine; Prednisone and bi-weekly soliris infusions