View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 09:44 PM
Owner

Relentless Against SAA,

There's a live webinar on June 2 coming up, covering how a patient prepares for a transplant, what happens during a transplant and what precautions should be taken immediately following a transplant. It includes a chance to ask questions and get expert answers.

My wife and I first prepared for her transplant by working with the hospital's transplant coordinator. They gave us a notebook full of information, and we studied everything and toured the transplant wing ahead of time. It really helped us feel that we knew how things were going to be done. There were certainly ups and downs, good days and bad days, during the transplant and during recovery, but we were definitely part of the team, and that control makes you feel much less helpless. Just as importantly, it improves outcomes.

Since your son is a young adult, he's probably used to staying in close touch with his friends. I think it will be very helpful to share information ahead of time with close friends, so they understand the basics and won't shy away. We had a laptop computer with us, but most of the time my wife wasn't up to using it, so I handled most messages to our support team back home.

When you're stuck in a hospital, knowing that you have a rooting section is great, and perhaps some of his friends can visit him in the hospital. Just make sure they check with you first to see if it's a good day to visit, and know what the hospital procedures are.