View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 5, 2010, 05:16 PM

My letter of today 08/05/2010

Good morning,

I know that the VA is currently in the process of making a decision on my claim (fourth or fifth time?) and I fully expect they will give me zero percent again because there is no code for Myelodysplastic Syndrome or is there?

Attached is a letter from a friend, fellow Vietnam veteran and fellow MDS patient. The difference between us is that the VA has denied that AO "in his case" caused MDS and found that "in my case" AO caused my MDS.

The randomness of the VA's decisions turns my stomach. I bet the VA is also upset, that with all of their delaying, denying, that I haven't just gone off and died.

To the point. I am given zero percent because MDS is nothing more than anemia and Larry is denied VA insurance because MDS is an incurable form of leukemia. Allow me to remind you again that leukemia is VA Code 7703 - 100% whenever being treated and I will never be in remission. MDS is incurable, therefore, it is total and permanent.

Perhaps one or the other made a mistake in their decision. The insurance folks are wrong and Larry should get insurance? The disability folks are wrong and I should receive almost six years of retroactive 100% disability?

Truth is that MDS is leukemia and is caused by exposure to Agent Orange. Larry should be 100% T&P and be GIVEN life insurance because of his disability.

If I may spell it out once more, for insurance purposes the VA is making medical decisions. For disability the VA is making financial decisions.

Veteran's Affairs certainly should not be allowed to have it both ways.

Mary Ellen would you please show this, email and letter, to Senator Akaka. Talib would you please make sure the Representative Filner sees this? Talib, if you would be so kind, thank Rep. Filner for his most encouraging letter please. Ellis run this by your friend?

It is attached in PDF format.

No matter how this turns out for me, I will continue to fight, until my last breath, for my fellow Vietnam veterans with bone marrow failure disease. I have a few Vietnam veterans on my BCC list that have received 100% T&P but are unwilling to step into the fray for fear of retaliation by the VA. Shame on them or shame on the VA?

I will continue to fight because it is the RIGHT thing to do!

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- George S. Patton, Jr.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Bob Macfarlane
Disabled Vietnam veteran and proud to have been allowed to serve this great nation...
In the service of a Jewish carpenter -- a relationship, not a religion
John 14:6 / Mathew 10:32-33