View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 11:36 PM

I just got the results from my bmb after 7 months of Vidaza. My blasts are still holding at slightly over 5% and i still have the complex chromosome abnormalities but they are affecting only 1 cell in 20 as opposed to 14 in 20 before. My blasts were 17-20% when first diagnosed in January. I don't have a donor yet so am relieved to be holding steady. I've gotten my consultation with The Hutch all lined up for the 24th and for Johns Hopkins as soon as my slides are returned from Seattle. I definitely understand the feeling of being overwhelmed with the weight of the decision. Laura, i love the wisdom of your words. Thank you. I'll let you know my impressions after the consults. One thing I feel better about already is that my local hematologist and my oncologist at University of Maryland are both extremely supportive of my decision to seek additional opinions. I like and respect them both and didn't want them to feel offended. They both said for a life altering decision like this, it makes sense to explore different options. They're also both thrilled with my progress with Vidaza. Initially, my prognosis looked very poor. Don't ever give up hope.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com