View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 7, 2010, 07:41 PM

Had consult in Seattle

I live in Maryland and am currently being treated through University of Maryland. For my MUD SCT/BMT, I'm also considering Johns Hopkins because it is an excellent center and close to home and The Fred Hutchinson Center in Seattle because they were the first to do the procedure and do many each year. Also, they come highly recommended by many long term survivors.

I had my consultation in Seattle a couple of weeks ago, and it went very well. The staff was friendly, timely, and knowledgable, and the facilities beautiful. The doctor spent 90 minutes with my husband and me and answered most of our questions without our even having to ask. It was apparent he had reviewed my records and slides and familiarized himself with my case before we got there. They have a couple of promising clinical trials for which I might be eligible that are not available closer to home.

My appointment at Johns Hopkins is Sept. 23, after which I'll make my decision about where to go (assuming I'll be abe to find a donor!). The decision will be difficult but i feel very fortunate that I have so many good alternatives to choose among!
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com