View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:56 AM

I agree sv0210,

Everyone here has the same fears and concerns you do. We are a group of patients, loved ones and caregivers that completely understand what you're going through (in terms of the AA treatment/response/risk of relapse) and we totally get your worry. No one on here bashes another. If a reply isn't coming across genuine, we give the benefit of the doubt and the member always clarifies the misunderstanding and proves their intentions were good. You assuming otherwise is uncalled for.

Now, as you are understanding, AA and it's response to treatment is very unpredictable. As it stands right now, with you being completely off cyclosporin, your counts are great and your platelets are stable at the low end of normal. Platelets can be very finicky and lots of day to day things can affect their numbers, like simple cold viruses, etc.

My biggest concern is the fact that you are still recovering from a life-threatening disease that is in remmission and you're back in full Army duty, and to make matters worse, you're receiving no respect at that.

If you were my son, together we'd find a way to get you permanently released from duty, citing the ongoing issues with dealing with the fall-out from your ongoing battle with aplastic anemia and the toll it has taken on your mental health (constant worry, fear of relapse, concern for lack of ongoing routine follw-up, etc.).

Many people are able to successfully return to their full-time employment or schooling but what you do for a living is extreme and not the least bit condusive to full recovery, both physically and mentally.

None of us know what tomorrow will bring. Our time on this earth is finite. You can't go through life worried about the 'what-ifs', but unfortunately having AA puts you in a category of potentially decreased life expectancy. Maybe you should come home, get the routine medical care you need and derserve, which will undoubtedly put you mind to at least some ease.

Just my opinion, best wishes,
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil