Thread: My life with AA
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:58 AM

Ugh! It's like my crazy, run-around, trying to find diagnosis life here! Had another appointment with the rheumatologist today with the results of my tests. I tested positive for ANA indicators proving that I have some autoimmune disorder going on. I originally tested negative for my hemotologist, but my rheumatologist said that most general laboratories use a basic test that is not very dependable. She is very specific with which lab she uses so that explains why my original ANA tests showed up negative, but hers showed up positive. So, now my rheumatologist is leaning towards lupus with evan's syndrome and reynaulds as my indicators. She is even thinking that my previous bout with AA could have been an indicator of lupus at the time. The lupus was attacking my bone marrow then. Now it is attacking my blood cells. Thankfully, if it is indeed lupus, I should be able to take medication to rectify most of it. I'm so relieved and hoping that this is definitely the issue at hand. She refuses to follow the "wait and see" that most hemotologists, including mine, like to follow because she says that if it is indeed lupus, she needs to medicate now and not later when I'm really bad off. Currently, I'm on a very mild medication and will have another cbc run in a month to see if my counts are stabilized. If they are, she said that it's a sign that the meds are working. If not, we'll need a stronger medication.

I don't know if some of you remember my questioning if my AA could possibly have been caused by lupus, but it seems I may, possibly (hopefully) have been right!!!! I'll take popping a pill the rest of my life to dealing with AA again anyday!!! Yay! I'm floating on air today, feeling good. This would also explain my total fatigue when my hemoglobin is sitting at a decent level of 10.3. She said that lupus would cause that. It also could explain my fainting spells (airplane ride) as it can affect my heart. So happy that we may be getting to the bottom of it all!

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil

Last edited by mscrzy1 : Thu Dec 15, 2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo