View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 04:29 PM

Neil and bailie: Thanks for the welcome! I know I'm not alone in this, but your confirmation that my journey is similar to your own is very comforting.

Neil - you asked about my risk category at diagnosis. It was Intermediate-I. The initial treatment of Atgam was to hopefully bring up my ANC. The Bone Marrow Transplant team and my doctor at Moffitt are now looking to see if the Atgam treatment is successful (which we won't really know for a few more months). If successful that would postpone the need for and SCT for a while. If it is not successful (as it appears to be trending) or my blast count increases then I would be placed on Vidaza and initiate the steps for the transplant.

Also, they've only shipped the HLA Typing kit to my sister this week. After getting her doctor to draw her blood and send it back to Moffitt, I expect we should know if she is a match by sometime early/mid-April (allowing for transit time, delays and other snafu's that may happen). If she is not a match, they will search the registry only after they officially start the SCT process.

One thing I'm encouraged by both of your responses is my sticking to my exercise routine. Of course today is my rest day and I won't be heading to the gym but will return with a vengeance tomorrow!

Bailie, I hope you are well on your way to recovery and the same goes for your wife, Neil. Thank you both!
Diagnosed Hypoplastic MDS RAEB-I w/5% Blasts (Nov 2016); treated with Atgam in Dec 2016 and completed cyclosprine course in May 2017; Blast 3-5%; Hypocellar BM; WBC .66k/uL; ANC 0.15k/uL; Platelets 71k/uL; RBC 3.54mil/uL; Hemoglobin 12.7g/dL