View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 15, 2012, 11:41 PM

Question Question about a possible side effect?

This is my first time posting to this forum. I have been following all of your stories and feel for all of you, good and bad! My question is for my son who was dx with SAA in 12/11. He was given horse ATG the beginning of 1/12. Had very similar experiences afterward with the serum sickness and pregnisone. He responded immediately to treatment and is currently taking Tacrolimus twice a day. He also takes Folic Acid once daily. He is now 17 years old and is doing very well. His last appt. (2 weeks ago) showed hemoglobins back in the normal range 12.3 his ANC count was 1420 (1500 is low range of normal) and the platelets are keeping at 78. The two main side effects are his sleeping pattern is off (even for a teenager) and he has developed terrible acne! The sleeping issue is somewhat under control but the poor kid has a face full of acne and has spread to his shoulders and back somewhat. Is this a side effect that might be similar to mouth sores for others? He is being treated at Children's Hopsital/Denver with an AA Hemotogist doctor that we just love. She has been great and says my son is responding unusually quickly! I say he is a walking miracle but he is still a teenager. ha Sorry for the rambling but just want to know abut the acne.

Thanks!