View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 7, 2014, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up Happy 2nd 2nd Birthday To Me ;0)

July 3, 2014, was my 2nd 2nd birthday. I probably won’t receive a card, email, or call from anyone. Isn’t that wonderful!!? I’ve resumed such a healthy lifestyle that we have all forgotten that 2 years ago today I was a bald bombshell hooked up to a bag of tomato-soup-looking stem cells trying to stay alive!

I can’t say that I don’t ever think about it or worry that the nightmare might return. Any form of cancer comes with that bonus. And I can’t say that it wasn’t life changing. But it does seem to be fading into the distance. In many ways, I’m back to being my old carefree (careless?) self. The old adage about what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger is total baloney. What doesn’t kill you, you eventually repress. Your strength is all used up getting through it.

Statistically, the 2-year mark is an important one for me. No relapse and very few issues with graft-vs.-host disease. I’m almost perfect again. The 3-year mark is even more significant, and I’m on my way…

Happy birthday to me,

Happy birthday to me,

I’m counting my blessings,

Happy birthday to me!

Thank you all for the loving support and prayers that brought me to this point. Also, sending a "shout out" to all the doctors and staff at the Medical University of South Carolina, who navigated my course to safety, when it seemed no safe haven was on the horizon. Last, but certainly not least, much love to my sister who saved my life.

I’ve come a long way, baby…
Sherry Baby 62 Diagnosed 2/11/12 MDS to AML-6; del 20q and trisomy 21; Vidaza 3 month trial unsuccessful; ALLO BMT 7/2/12; Sister Donor 10/10 match; Chronic GVHD mucous membranes, otherwise all's well :0)