View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 07:58 AM

LOW platelets with reaction & Vidaza

Hello all~
I had a bad reaction to platelets on Thursday--102.5 fever within 1/2 hour of getting them; post cbc was platelets @ 9K! Super scary...overnite in hospital with all of the precautions/blood tests/ preventative antibiotics...thought my end was near, as all happened so fast! Thurs nite platelets transfusion only took me to 21k...WBC .9, Hemo around 9...shots of Neupogen and Aranesp...

Question: I have completed my 3rd round of Vidaza, and am now on standing order for platelets 2xweek. I know it takes minimum of 4 rounds of Vidaza to work, but wonder if I can withstand it? Has anyone had such lows and rebounded for the next cycle...or had a hard time for the first 3 cycles, and seen magic after the 4th cycle? My platelets have been as low as 2K and I was still walking around, not bleeding.

Just found out this am that I am supposed to have a transfustion and that they (Philadelphia!) can't find my special HLA matched platelets....what am I supposed to do?
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly