View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 10:31 AM

Platelets low - waiting to try Vidaza

Hi to all my MDS colleagues,
After 4.5 years of great responses, first to thalidomide, then on Revlimid; my platelets have taken a sharp decline. The platelets were 67 on 9/3 and now are in low 20's. The drop has been very steep, the other counts are fairly good, Hgb=11.3, WBC responds well to Neupogen. A BMB shows only 6% blasts and no chromosome abnormalities.

Revlimid has been stopped as it often causes low platelets. My doctor consulted Moffett Cancer Center and was told that it can take 3 weeks off Revlimid for the platelets to respond. I've been off Revl for 12 days.

I'm getting CBC's every other day and finally had the same platelet count on 10/10/08, actually +1, HA. It's obviously within the error band of CBC counting but I'll take it anyway!!

My doctor will start me on Vidaza as soon as some stability in the platelets is achieved. There have been some good responses to Vidaza and I have responded to all the medications tried thus far so I'm confident we can get by this situation.