View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 8, 2015, 06:03 PM

Hi Carole

Here is a different viewpoint...

I have RCMD too. When my blast count dropped I decided not to go for immediate treatment because my body doesn't cope well with drugs. For me the decision depends on my blast count. If my blast count increased above 5% again I would consider treatment. While it remains within normal range I am comfortable on watch and wait which I've now been on for three years. I don't have any cytogenetic abnormalities. So far my results have remained quite stable, except for my average WCC which is my main problem. It drops a little more each year. Like you I feel quite well the vast majority of the time. I think that knowing what to do as soon as I sense an infection starting, along with a very healthy lifestyle and regular exercise, and my 4-weekly gamma globulin infusions, all contribute to my wellness.

If your problem is red cells or platelets and you have to have transfusions you might be at higher risk.

I see my haematologist every 2 months, and I have a CBC with LFTs and globulins included every 4 weeks. I use a spreadsheet to monitor the critical aspects of my blood tests myself.

It's not an easy decision and I wish you wisdom and courage for whatever path you take!
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.