View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 04:06 PM

Hi Dave.

I received Campath as part of my conditioning for my transplant last July. It had previously been in trials here in the UK and was approved for use only a few weeks before my transplant, and was already very popular with the consultants as nearly all the transplant patients were getting it when I was there!

It was one of 3 chemo drugs I was given, and it was the only one that gave me any side effects at all (the other two might as well have been saline!). The nurses said people had some pretty bad reactions to it, but mine were all mild. The first night I had some breathing problems that were fixed right away with a nebuliser, the second night I had an itchy rash that went away after some IV hydrocortisone, and the third night I had a comedy sneezing fit for an hour, but that was about it.

It seems to have done the trick since my chemo sickness was nonexistent and my GvH has been really mild. It's also pretty cool to have had such a new and exciting drug, too!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)