View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 08:09 AM

CMV and EBV concerns

Greg-

After the Campath treatment, you are put on medication, (prophalactically), to protect you from activating both CMV and EBV. You have to take them until your CD4 counts come back up to 200. You will be closely monitored for these 2 virusus after your treatment.

You take a daily tablet of Valtrex during this time. It has been 1 1/2 years since my treatment, and I still take the Valtrex, as my CD4 count is not up to 200 yet. It has risen significantly though, compared to 6 months ago.

My local dr thinks it won't be long now until my CD4 count is 200 and I can stop the meds. That being said, I'm sure there are people who have had their viruses activated while on or after the trial..... if I recall, that may have been in the trial protocol, actually.

You have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for you.
I've been totally happy with my results from the Campath trial. I have not had any viruses at all, my counts have all improved and I have not had a need for a transfusion since June of '09. (btw, my trial was in '09, not in '10 as my original post stated).

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Good luck to you!!