View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 02:34 PM

Watch & Wait

Lisa Z,

Watch & Wait was really my decision. My local oncologist was ready to go with Vidaza (even scheduled and appointment for the portcath installation) and my transplant doc is ready to go at any time.

But, knock on wood, so far the quality of life issues revolving around the 6-week transfusion cycle and periodic fatigue seem far more manageable than the possible side effects of Vidaza -- which has an unimpressive record of helping low-risk patients -- and the huge risk of a transplant.

Campath is very tempting, if I can get in a trial. But the transplant doc is strongly opposed, and I'm not quite ready to jeopardize the possibility of a transplant in the future. I'm in pretty good shape and figure I might be on the bright side of the transplant statistics.

I haven't spoken with my local oncologist about the Campath idea yet, which is one reason I'm gathering info.

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com