View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 30, 2010, 06:59 AM

Greg

Your background is also very similar to mine. I was contemplating the BMT, as I have a matched simbling, but except for one time when I had a bad BMB, they told me it really wasn't the best option, based on my current risk level.

I was an emotional wreck the few days before the trial, even the 1st 2 days at the NIH..... should I do this, should I just keep transfusing, etc. etc. I finally made the decision to do it, and in retrospect, it was the right decision for me.

I did get "rigors", (bad shakes and muscle rigidity), but the nurses are right there with the demerol and that takes care of it. That is really all I experienced, (the test dose and one or two afterwards), and some tingling in my palms during and shortly afterwards.... maybe very minor itching when I went outdoors during my stay. Nothing that YOU cannot handle!

Will you have anyone with you? I forget where you live.... My husband stayed with me in my room on a bed that was really a chair, but folded out to a bed. I'm sure not everyone required someone that close by, but like I said, I was an emotional wreck.

Good luck. I'm sure it will all go well.