View Single Post
Old Tue May 9, 2017, 12:45 PM

Hi, Annette,

It is a roller coaster, isn't it?! I'm glad to hear that your mom was able to go home. I think it is usually nicer for people to be in the comfort of their own home rather than the hospital.

My dad was completely transfusion dependent throughout his illness, but when his MDS converted to AML his hemoglobin went up about 1 point on its own for the very first time and actually stayed up for several weeks. The doctor never explained why, but my personal theory with absolutely no scientific support is that once the blasts start multiplying so quickly the marrow sort of makes some extra red cells and platelets as a side effect. Most of the blast cells are becoming white cells but due to sheer numbers, you get a few red cells and platelets, too.

As I've said before, my dad was pretty comfortable until the last week, and even then, he may not have been as uncomfortable as we thought he was. He was basically the same as he had been throughout his illness in terms of no pain and just very tired. About a week before he passed away, he became very confused and agitated (literally within a couple of hours) and became so weak he could not get out of bed within a day of the change in his behavior. The hospice nurses felt that he was unaware of his agitation, and I sincerely hope they were right because we were so worried he was upset or in pain.

Your mom has such a wonderful outlook on life and such a terrific sense of humor that I know she will handle this stage of the disease just a well as she has handled everything that has come before. And I know you will be a great support for her! Love and hugs to you both!