View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:23 AM

Hi! I'm karen claire and I'm 24 yrs. old.

I've been an Aplastic anemia patient for a long time. Aplastic anemia was ruled out to be my medical diagnosis last 2006 and I started multiple blood transfusions even before that which was in the year 2000. My platelet count ranges from 12-24 but now rarely goes up to 24 and only reaches 18. I still receive monthly blood transfusions - when it is necessary.

We went from doctor to doctor and now we are meeting a new doctor since we were discouraged at how our former doctor met us during my check-ups and the hospital we was in wasn't that good compared to the new hospital we're going to.

I had Cyclosporin and Exjade for treatment but had stopped. I got tired of drinking the meds for the past years so I eventually stopped and didn't tell my doctor about it but now, I told my new doctor of it. She told me to do work-ups and stop cyclosporin for now.

I'm not sure what the next thing to do is because I want to stop being dependent with my parents. They're getting old and I still have two siblings who are going to school - an elementary and one in college. I have a boyfriend right now who is still studying. My parents are even against him because they don't trust him that he could take care of me. I'll stop studying again but will continue with distance learning due to my situation and I'm planning to start an online business.

I'm not sure how to be with my parents and continue going out with my boyfriend who exerts efforts to make me feel loved and cared for as he could. I'm not sure how to start a business with my parents around interfering with how I'll manage and decide for things.

Of course, I know they just care and are overprotective of me because of my illness but I feel suffocated most of the times. I don't know what to do.