View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 11:12 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksonak View Post
Hello all. This is a wonderful site for sharing. I hope you can help us. I have hubby and myself covered by my company insurance now. October I will retire, and must go on Medicare; hubby, too. I have been searching desperately for information on supplementary insurance plans and Part D plans to see which will cover MDS the best. I know we are in store for big time bills. Does anyone have any information, pro or con, to guide us in our search? We'll be living in Michigan. No treatment has begun at this time, just BMB and CBCs to monitor bone marrow.
Bless you all....and thanks in advance for any info......
Welcome, iksonak.

It's smart of you to be researching this ahead of time, before your retirement. Have you tried to narrow down the choices by learning which prescription drug plans in Michigan cover the drugs your husband is taking?

One way you could get more information about how supplementary and Part D insurance plans apply to MDS would be to listen to an expert speak on the subject. The Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation is holding its annual Patient & Family Conference next month in Indianapolis, and one of the scheduled sessions on July 11 will be "MDS and Your Health Insurance." If you can attend, now's the time to sign up because conference registration is free for only 3 more days. The hotel room isn't free but there's a group rate.

I attended a similar session at last year's conference. The speakers were good, the presentation was informative, and patients and spouses in the audience had a chance to ask questions.