Thread: My Dad's Story
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 3, 2009, 07:14 PM

It's been a while!

Update on Dad. The osteomyelitis is under control. Dad completed both of the IV antibiotics and is now on oral which he will take for another 3 months. He still has back pain, but it is controlled well with pain meds. The infectious disease dr. runs blood work every 3 weeks to be sure there is not a flare up of the infection and to check dad's kidney function and general metabolic condition. He's taking probiotics, and so far, he has not had any additional stomach issues. The cyclosporine is hard on his stomach, but I guess we have to live with it!
Dad went 7 weeks between blood transfusions - a new record! He still gets platelets about every 10 to 11 days; it has become part of our routine now. He is still very weak and is only able to walk very short distances. The back infection really slowed down his physical progress, however, we are thankful the he is feeling so much better and working very hard at physical therapy.
Dad's WBC have been hovering in the "normal" range! Yippee!
Our next hemo/oc appt. we will find out his ferritin level. Dad had a terrible time with the Exjade last year, and with everything else that has gone on, the dr. really has not been following the iron issue. I am concerned since Dad has received so many blood transfusions.
Thank you all for your informative posts. Though I don't post often, I try to read new posts and keep up on what everyone is experiencing. Thank you!
Debra, daughter of Paul, dx. 8/07 with SAA, ATG 9/07 & 5/08 - we are beginnning to see improvements in HGB and WBC. Still waiting on those sluggish platelets!!!!! Dad is incredible!