View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 19, 2019, 01:56 PM

Blood group change

I'm not a doctor, but think that the important factors are the blood group you start out with, how many red cells and platelets your bone marrow is producing prior to the SCT and how many blood and platelet transfusions you have just prior to the SCT.

I was AB+ prior to my SCT, a universal recipient, so I was receiving weekly transfusions of different blood and platelet types for about five months. As soon as my A+ donor was chosen, they put me on A+ transfusions exclusively, for the months leading up the transplant. My own bone marrow was producing virtually nothing prior to the SCT conditioning, due to two rounds of intensive chemo, so as soon as engraftment took place my blood group was confirmed as A+ almost immediately. The new stem cells didn't have any competition from the old stem cells and virtually all my blood cells were already A+ after all the transfusions.

I am no expert, but that is more or less what the doctors have told me. Hope it helps.
David, Age 60, diagnosed with MDS August 2018. Low Hb and platelets, weekly transfusions. No genetic mutations. Developed into AML with FLT3 mutation while waiting for a SCT. Allogenic SCT - MUD in Feb 2019. Relapsed June 2019. Azacitidine, Venetoclax and DLI.