View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:33 AM

Dear Kim

My Dad was informed his MDS had progressed to AML 6 weeks ago. Subsequent to that we tried chemo, as well as to find a bone marrow match in is siblings. Unfortunately all attempts were unsuccessful. We were informed two weeks ago that he has 1-2 months but he only lasted one week. We, in consultation with him decided to take him off antibiotics as his skin was extremely sensitive and his J-line became blocked. We used this last week to spend as much time as possible with him and he went peacefully on Friday. He had no pain, just sensitivity of the skin.

In this process we contacted hospice and if we'd had time there is no doubt that we would have brought him home (they were even prepared to set him up at home and assist my Mom to care for him). They will offer emotional support to all of you. You are welcome to ask me any additional questions if you have any - you can use the private messages option.

All of the best during this difficult time,
Alison
Alison, daughter of Rod aged 61; Dx May 2007; was on Neupogen and Eprex Aug - Dec '07; Vidaza recommended 6 cycles starting Jan '08, only 5 cycles completed. Chemotherapy commenced: July '08 - Feb - '09. Cytarabine & Daunarubicin. Transfusion dependent.