View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 05:46 PM

Smile Diagnosis - Finally

I have been being seen by a local oncologist for pancytopenia. The doc is board certified in oncology but not hematology. She told me “it looked like I had aplastic anemia”. This was after numerous blood tests, a CT scan, and MRI, and two bone marrow biopsies. She suggested I get a second opinion which I did.

I saw a doctor at the Veterans’ Hospital in Gainesville, FL. The doctor I saw also practices at the University of Florida – Gainesville (one of the centers of excellence in the US). She is board certified in hematology, oncology, and internal medicine. She is also an assistant professor at the University. She had a battery of blood tests done and a third bone marrow biopsy.

I received my report from the third bone marrow biopsy today. The UF doc was out of the office today on a family emergency so another one of the doctors delivered the report and news to me. The report confirmed I have MDS - RCMD (Refractory Cytopenia with Multilineage Dysplasia). My blood counts are not too low at this time (WBC=2.3, RBC=2.4, Platelets=38K) so this doc’s idea was to monitor my counts for a while. I am supposed to have blood work done in two weeks and see my UF doc in a month. I believe it is in my best interest to continue seeing her.

I appreciate all the answers and comments I have received on posts I have made on this forum. It has been very helpful!

Data