View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
One theory is that vitamin K and D deficiency could cause MDS in a subset of people (there is another thread about this). If this is true it is entirely feasible that Lipitor may be a factor. Drugs that reduce cholesterol or block the absorption of fat are also likely to reduce the absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, K, E). Statins are also known to reduce CoQ10, and some doctors advise supplementing this.

I do not take statins but have gut problems which are known to cause deficiencies in these vitamins in particular, and I am sure this is a factor in my illness.

Am not advising stopping taking the medication, btw.

I read this theory with interest (the vitamin D deficiency part). Paul had routine blood tests two years prior to MDS diagnosis. Blood tests at that point were all within normal range, however his doctor put him on a Vitamin D tablets because these blood tests showed he was Vitamin D deficient. Interesting!
Sandi, partner of Paul 62, diagnosed MDS Intermediate 2; July 2012. Pancytopenia, Cytogenetics -7 +8 Chromosomes. Low Blast cell count. Currently on EPO & G-CSF and having great response. MUD found will be admitted to Royal Perth Hospital 27 March 2013 to start SCT process.