View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:12 AM

Praying for My Mom (Part 2 of 2)

I took her for her appointment at CC on Monday and (just like I thought) her doctor admitted her again. This time, they took another marrow sample and discovered that the 4 rounds of chemo (Dacogen that poisened her lungs) did absolutely nothing for the MDS. Mom told the CC doctors what the local cancer center was going to use to begin her chemo again and CC stated her drug of choice was not a good one.

Where we are today: After many transfusions, platelets, poking, prodding, and several different roommates, mom was released to come home this past Tuesday. She left knowing that the CC's next course of action was to institute chemo therapy again utilizing a drug that would offer her a 40-50 percent chance of remission. Granted, this made her hopeful, but I am having a hard time feeling the same due to the low percentage. If this new drug doesn't work, she will enter into a clinical trial program at CC--between the two I am hoping God will see that one of them works!

She is currently at the CC (her brother took her) and I am at work. She had a follow-up with her pulminary doctor and her first appointment at the CC cancer center to outline their course of action.

Although she is breathing a lot better now (only needs 4 liters of oxygen), I doubt her lungs will ever completely heal and she cannot possibly stay on this high dose of Prednisone. They would like to replace it with something else, but the replacement would hinder her blood counts too much. She has dark spots everywhere; her arms, her neck, and her legs and I guess this is due to the low platelets. Her eyes even get blood spots in them. She is very frail and I worry so much with her being home alone when I am at work. My kids, however, get home from school around 3:15 and I must commend them because they help her so much!! They are only 12 and 14 but they are surely learning a whole lot about this situation.

I hope and pray that God will give her doctor's the wisdom they need to heal her. I hope, too, that He will give my mom the strength to endure whatever else is to come during this awful illness.

BTW, I asked as soon as we found out about the MDS if I could be tested for a bone marrow donor only to be disappointed to find out she is too old to receive one!! I was told someone her age would have a 40% mortality rate following this procedure.

Remaining hopeful for my mom: she is my hero and my best friend!

Your comments, thoughts or prayers are welcomed and appreciated!

Sheri
(from Fowler, Ohio)