View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:44 PM

Mom's Latest Symptoms

Linda,
My mom has the bruising all up and down her arms, too. The ones on her neck are starting to fade, but others are popping up on her thighs. Just about an hour ago I approached her to offer her something to eat and about jumped out of my skin. I could not see her right eyeball; in fact, it looked black. I took a closer look and discovered it was completely covered in a very dark red blood. I had her close her left eye and tell me how many fingers I was holding up; she passed that test so at least I know she can see. Weird, though, her left eye was blood shot in the corner for the past couple days (as it has been before) but it was a bright red (normal blood shot look) and it completely faded away this morning.

I took her blood pressure and it's very low; 87/55. I offered to check her sugar but she refused because she didn't want to get upset. Her sugar is only wacky right now because she is on 50mg of Prednisone a day. Hard to control her food in take (and types) when this medication makes her hungry as a horse and very shaky for about an hour after she takes it.

Also, toward the end of this week her oxygen level was great and she had been feeling better. In fact, on Friday on the way home from the CC she actually didn't use her oxygen for 2 hours and her oxygen reading was above 90 during that time. Things like this always get me so excited until she declines in another area. She's been running a slight temperature the last couple of days and she had me bump her oxygen up this morning from 5 liters to 6 liters.

We are going to the family doctor tomorrow and she is suppose to go to the cancer center, too, to get her blood work done. I'm going to ask her family doctor to do her labs so I don't have to haul her all over the place. She is in no shape to go here, there, and everywhere! I have a feeling she will be getting platelets and/or a transfusion tomorrow, though.

When she is doing good, I feel okay about going to work. But, when she's like this I don't like to leave her alone. I am off Sat-Mon each week because I work 10 hour shifts which, at least, gives me another day at home to be with her. When I am at work, I do have an uncle that comes and checks on her and gets her lunch about noon. Other than that, I have her carry her cell phone with her whenever she gets off the couch to go to the bathroom or something. I worry so much everyday whether I am here with her or not. As I mentioned in my initial post, she's already had a nose bleed that wouldn't quit and she gets light-headed spells, too.

It sounds like you and your husband have had a rough time and have traveled a rocky road. He is very lucky to have you as you seem so very supportive and completely intune to all of his medical care. I will pray that this next treatment works for him.

Thank you for responding back, I appreciate it so much. I think corresponding with people that can relate to all of this is very helpful. It's hard to explain any of this to people here locally because they are unfamiliar with the disease and I don't think they really know how serious the situation is.

Again, thank you!

Sheri