View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 3, 2010, 05:58 AM

Exjade

Hi Lee,
Too bad that your Dr didn't check your ferritin level ! I think 11 tablets/day is high - you should not take more than 30 mg/kg/day. The normal dose is 20 mg/kg/day.

I should take 5 tablets/day and started with 1 tabl the first week with control of WBCs and creatinin. Next week I took 2 tablets a day and so on. When I reached 4 tablets a day my neutrophils decreased and I had to stop taking Exjade.

Exjade had a positive effect on my HGB and my transfusion interval increased from 4 to 6 weeks. I asked my Dr if I could take 1 tablet Exjade/day the days I didn't get Desferal infusion (in Sweden we get Desferal iv from a small home pump during 4 days with transfusions). He said it was OK though it is off label. If the effect is positive I will try 2 tablets/day.

Don't take shark liver oil if your platelets are low - that kind of drugs can increase bleeding. If you will try Astragalus start with a very low dose and don't increase the dose till your counts are controlled because we are all different and everything can have a negative effect on our bone marrow.

Good luck!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A