View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:43 PM

Paul, actually my "team" is very similar to your description. You were just better at describing than I was. I have heard some people describe their transplant "team" as a group of doctors, which I don't have. I also have a local hematologist/oncologist doctor who initially diagnosed my MDS and sent me straight to my transplant doctor at Oregon Health Science University. I see my local doctor and nurses for the Vidaza treatments. I have seen a cardiac/oncologist doctor once when I developed fluid around my heart which they think was a side effect from Sprycel (for the 9;22 "Philadelphia chromosome") that came with my AML relapse at about Day+210. I still haven't had a fever more than 99.6 (which lasted less than a day) since I was diagnosed.

I am doing/feeling great for now (Day+590). I golfed 18 holes this last week and plan to continue once a week for the rest of the summer. My BMBs have been perfectly clean for the last six months. It is a strange sensation to talk about that because we all know that things can change. I read the link that Kyis posted last week in which a doctor described our recovery as like the game "Whack-a-Mole" where you just get rid of one problem and another one might pop up.

I will have one more round of Vidaza (my 12th since relapse) and then my 17th BMB. We will then evaluate my situation. The last six cycles of Vidaza have been for prevention of relapse and hope (wishful thinking) of a durable remission. I have felt pretty good the last six months except for a couple of colds and the related fluid around my heart which slowed me down for a couple of weeks. I feel very close to "normal" which my good friends tell me is impossible because as they say I "have never been "normal".

Dan, it is always good to hear from you.

Everyone have the best day possible.