View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 24, 2012, 09:14 AM

Itw,

I can't say it any better than Neil. I just want you to know (and you can read through my posts over the last two years if you have a LONG time to do it) that my husband has a similar situation to your father-in-law. We have been to 4 major cancer centers seeking help over the last two years and a half years.
When we were told last Friday that the MDS was now AML we were given little hope. But as long as there is a breath, there is hope. We presented all the options to my husband and left the choice up to him. It's his body and he's the one that has to make this decision. Only he knows whether he's up to the task.
Quite frankly, as sick as my husband has been this week, I never dreamed he would have said let's try this one last option. But he did and now it is in God's hands.
God bless you, your father-in-law and your whole family as you go through this most difficult of times.
You couldn't have come to a better place for your answers. All of us have either lived this disease as a patient or caregiver.
Someone said - and I can't remember where - I think it was somewhere on this forum - this is a disease of one. And that is so true because every single MDS and AML patient is different. There are no two alike. What works for one doesn't work for the other. People with great prognosis fail treatment. People with poor prognosis respond to treatment. A disease of one. I thought that was a good way to put it.
God bless,
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.