View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 3, 2016, 12:19 PM

I got 2 referrals for a supposedly good GI center in Albuquerque, yet they claim I am ineligible for an appointment until next year because I've been lucky enough to have the endoscopy/colonoscopy this year. My other options in the state were for August and September appointments, so I have one scheduled in mid-August. Unfortunately, I fear that this person, like the person who performed the endoscopy/colonoscopy, is really a surgeon who performs these procedures and rather than an appropriate consultant.

Neil -- Regarding celiacs, the reduction in exercise capacity and swelling under the left rib happened after carefully avoiding gluten and soy. (I haven't completely excluded gluten exposure in that I will eat out if traveling). I have discussed celiacs with doctors at walk-in clinics -- they were kind and tried to be helpful, but recommended testing out diets that I fear would not only distract from the cause of my problems, but possibly make things worse. My BMI is ~16.5. I don't want to lose weight, and don't think, say, avoiding cherries because they are a high FODMAP food will solve my issues. I really have no GI issues, except nausea, if I avoid gluten/wheat/soy. Thanks -- I believe you're right about getting another BMB. I saw the local hematologist last year in August; he concluded that I probably don't need a hematologist and that the PNH result "is probably fine". Then he moved out of the state and is probably now living on a desert island Kidding -- but he did move.

Yes, my recovering counts were great and lucky. A few years after the diagnosis, I was able to resume racing, and have run many marathons and ultramarathons since then. Overall, it's hard to complain. I guess my new problems are now interfering with work (bad reactions from foods, e.g., eating gluten free pizza was a terrible idea, the flu shot really knocked me out, ab pain) and racing seems out of the question.

Hopeful -- How were you diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency?