View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 5, 2009, 06:58 PM

Hi Debora,

I feel for you at this point. I am going through the same situation as yours. My mom who is 79 yo and my best friend in life has been diagnosed with MDS. The diagnoses was official in April of this year but I believe my mom has had this illness since at least 2006 and was hospitalized several times for her congestive heart failure and were never told she had the disease. Now that I undersatnd the disease more I can tell you that when she was living with me 2006 and 2007, she lost a lot of weight and was tired and depressed and had nose bleed but they thought it was because she was on blood thinner at that time for her heart condition. She had 9 blood transfusion earlier this year and started on Epoe in Feb of this year. So far she is doing great and her HB is 11+. The only thing is that she recently had a blood clot in here leg and was hospitalized for it and treated.

I understand what you are going through. It is even harder for me because my mom lives currenly overseas and can only talk to her on the phone.

I really hope your dad is doing good and his health is improving. Please keep in touch with me and let me know what goes on. Our parents are in same age group and it is helpful to what each of us is doing to help them.

My mom is coming to the state in a month or two. I am very excited to be able to spend some time with her.

Take care,

Mona