View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 5, 2012, 12:29 AM

Brigitta & Linda;
It's midnight, and I have only been home a few minutes. Earl ended up getting another large bag of platelets tonight, they dropped to 10,000. But, on the upside - his Hgb stayed above transfusion level - just barely at 8.9, but his WBS'c have increased from 1.0 to 3.3, which is a blessing for sure.
I had talked to the hema/onc's office this afternoon, and they said the Dr. was going to stop in after office hours. He never got there before 11:30 PM, and I had to get home to feed Hannah and let her out. I just called the floor - and of course - he has not showed up. I did leave a message with the charge nurse that I wanted to be called with Earl's blood levels in the early AM so that I could be prepared.
Problem is - the admitting Dr. said he could go home today, but of course - that was before we knew the results. He is getting depressed just being there, and he hates the hospital food. Tonight - around 9:30 or so, he was hungry for a taco - so I ran up to Taco Bell and got him one - and he ate it. I figure anything is better than nothing. He also ate some cheese corn, and a couple pieces of candy.
I found out that they were not giving him his marinol - he hadn't had one dose since he was admitted last Thursday - so not only is the hospital food not that great - his appetite is down. He did get a dose tonight at 10:00 PM - but he can't get anything to eat, even if it does kick in.
As for me - I am eating on the run, and living on coffee. Thanks goodness the nurses on the floor let me in their break room, and I can get a decent cup of coffee (but I bought them a pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee) so it is fair both ways. When the 3:00 shift comes on, I make the coffee about 3:15 so that when they get out of report - it's ready for them. I did the same tonight for the night shift.
My hopes that each of you are getting better, and know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

((((HUGS))))
Beth