View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 9, 2012, 09:58 AM

Hi Brigitta-A,

My sister spoke to the oncologist in another private hospital for advice, according to him, there is no need to check the EPO level before the EPO injection, this is exactly what the hematologist mentioned before. Both of them saying that EPO would not help in my mom case. Basically they dont even want to try.

I think they maybe make the below assumption as my mom is frequent BT patient at the moment but i think still worth trying even she is frequent BT patient as long as the EPO level is below 500.

The treatment is most likely to benefit patients whose natural (blood serum) EPO level is below 500 International Units per liter and who do not need frequent transfusions.

Another not so good news is i think they were not many hematologist in private hospital. So far i only found 2 hematologist in private hospital. One of them is the one that treat my mom now.

Actually we plan to change the doctor, hematologist to oncologist that we seek for 2nd advice but he told my sister that he feels not so good as he has to send the BMB analysis to the hematologist that treated my mom. They know each other actually.

I really dont know how to proceed now as if i tell the hematologist to try something, i can be sure that he would not be happy at all or he might says something like he would not take responsibility if something happened if we insisted to try new options like EPO with white blood cell, higher dosage of cyclosporine as mentioned by hopeful and other treatments that might deem will help my mom to be transfusion-independent.

Need your advice on this, if the hematologist really say something like above, should i insisted to do it anyway ? Appreciate your comments on this. Thanx.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015

Last edited by teo : Tue Oct 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM.