View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 3, 2011, 10:16 PM

How to Decide. . . Now or Later!!!

Thanks Greg,
I really appreciate you addressing my question. The hospital in London, Ontario said transplant ASAP since I was young and strong. The center for MDS Excellence at Princess Margaret said wait and watch, then drugs and transfusions, then transplant. The only long term cure is transfusion, so , in my opinion, I don't want any previous treatment to stand in the way of a cure!

Currently I am not needing any treatment. A MUD has not yet been found so if I were to need a treatment, I would have little choice but to accept it. My hope is that a BMT would occur before other treatments are necessary. BUT. . . edvancements in medicine occur which may result in the risky BMT not being required. SO, my thought is to hopefully make the right decision when my need for a treatment arises. My gut says to go for the BMT since I am younger and strong. I was recently running 3times a week and weight training, and playing golf along with working full time; which suggests I have strength on my side. I guess some of the decision will be determined by the match to my donor. A perfect match will make my decision for the transplant much easier!

Thank you for your input. Please stay in touch!
All the Best,
Janice
Female, age 52 - Diagnosed May, 2011 Hypoplastic MDS. Cytogenetics showing 2 abnormalities on chromosome 15. Blasts<5%, IPSS of 1. All blood counts low, but no treatment; watch and wait. Registered for MUD; on Feb. 23/12 two donor matches found but returned since not needed yet!