View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 8, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebrations View Post
I was informed, that there would be three cases which would alter my situation immediately and would lead to a SCT-decision.
- a steady decline of white counts and platelets ( I am between 3,0-4,0 wbc and 250 000 plts)
- an increase of blasts over 5% (I don't have any yet)
- an additional chromosomical aberration (I have my trisomy 8, between 50 and 60 % also for six yrs now)
Each of these changes would mean a severe progression of the disease.
And then SCT will be my last option.
Never before.
Hi Bergit!

I, too, am sorry to hear about your friend. But it's great to hear that you have such a neat support group.

Your list of reasons for transplant hews very close to the rationale outlined by Dr. Matt Kalaycio of the Cleveland Clinic in the presentation that Lisa V and I have recommended.

He says the Cleveland Clinic never transplants low-risk MDS patients, because, even though the success rate is highest with that group, that group has other options.

Reasons they proceed to transplant:

High IPSS Score
High Probability of conversion to AML
Intolerable transfusion requirement
Severe Neutropenia.

That's pretty similar to the criteria your doctors use.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com