View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 07:50 AM

Wow!

Wow! I am so happy that I found this discussion. All the good questions and eloquent discussions are exactly what I need right now. I am a 57 Yr. old female, recent Dx of hypoplastic MDS. My BMB showed no cytogenic abnormalities or blasts, but hypocellular marrow (10%). My doc thinks that I have a case of my immune system attacking my marrow, so maybe ATG/cyclosporine in the future as the best course of action (my counts are slowly declining -- now at WBC 3.8, RBC 2.27, Hct 25.4, Hgb 9.1, Plts 29). I have been grappling with exactly the issues that have been brought up in this discussion. I'm on watch and wait, but my shortness of breath has become quite severe. I have always been very healthy and athletic, doing many aerobic activities -- running, biking, swimming, cross-country skiing, etc. Now I'm to the point where I'm avoiding hills and stairs -- quite a change for me. So...my doc is recommending transfusion or growth factors (Epogen or Procrit) to help with my Hgb and Hct; he's leaving the choice up to me - yikes! IF my counts keep declining, he would then go to IST, and lastly to BMT. I am drug averse, so right now I'm grappling with whether or not to even try transfusions or growth factors. I would love to get my breath back, but, after watch and wait, I feel like this is jumping into the void with both feet, a void from which there is no escape. I guess I still have some disbelief that my disease is not going to get better on its own... I keep clinging to the fact that I have no cell or chromosomal abnormalities, and no blasts, but then there is the fact that my counts ARE declining, slowly but surely. Thanks for reading, and thanks to all, especially Greg, for the helpful links!

marmab